A Look Back on May, 2015

This month I definitely got more reading done than I did in April. I discovered a new author, became a bigger fan than I already was of a couple of authors I've been following for a while, and even got to do a few fun rereads! I still didn't get quite as many books in as I would have liked to -- I have more hours at work now, which means less reading time but MO' MONEY! I enjoyed every book I read this month, with the exception of one, and really that's all anyone can ask for, isn't it -- enjoying what you read, even if you don't do as much as you'd like. Here's a list of what I read, in chronological order:

1. R.L. Stine, Welcome to Dead House

10. Robert McCammon, Stinger

11. Ira Levin, Rosemary's Baby

12. R.L. Stine, Say Cheese and Die

13. Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot

14. Robert Louis Stephenson, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (haven't read this one yet but I plan to start it this evening -- also, the number thirteen makes me sort of uncomfortable)

I was already a fan of Dean Koontz, but the three novels of his I read early in the month really sold me on him. I had been soured on a couple of his later novels last year, so I sort of gave up on him for a while. I'm back, though!

I had only read four Robert McCammon books before this month. I really liked/loved all of them, but hadn't really felt an emotional connection with his writing -- the closest I ever came was with Mystery Walk (still my favorite book of his). I read Stinger to get ready for his new novel, and I found myself really falling in love with McCammon's style of writing. I am now a dedicated fan of his.

Summer of Night, by Dan Simmons, was a bit of an impulse buy and read at the recommendation of a friend. Boy, am I glad I checked it out! Summer of Night is, quite simply, one of the best novels I've ever had the pleasure of reading and I'm sure I'll come back to it again and again. I have several more Simmons novels waiting for me on my shelf, but I'm not sure if any of them will measure up to Summer of Night.

I also started both of my big reread projects this month -- the reread of every published Stephen King book and all 62 books in the original Goosebumps series. I've gotten a good start on both, having read King's first two novels and the first four Goosebumps books. I don't want to read too many books in either series back-to-back because I don't want to risk getting burned out on either. The pace I set this month really worked for me, though, so expect it to be the regular -- four Goosebumps books, two Stephen King books. Of course, this could change at any time.... ;)

Overall, May was a really good month of reading for me. It was a lot of fun and there was only one or two duds in the mix. I hope June is even better!

Favorite May read:

Goosebumps books 5-8

Tabitha King, Survivor

Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

Dean Koontz, Strangers

(This is just a working list, of course.)