ANIMAL FARM Review

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Synopsis: One night, all the animals at Mr. Jones' Manor Farm assemble in a barn to hear old Major, a pig, describe a dream he had about a world where all animals live free from the tyranny of their human masters. old Major dies soon after the meeting, but the animals — inspired by his philosophy of Animalism — plot a rebellion against Jones. Two pigs, Snowball and Napoleon, prove themselves important figures and planners of this dangerous enterprise. When Jones forgets to feed the animals, the revolution occurs, and Jones and his men are chased off the farm. Manor Farm is renamed Animal Farm, and the Seven Commandments of Animalism are painted on the barn wall.

*****

By now, I am sure the majority of you have read this 1945 classic short novel. I, however, missed it growing up and just got around to reading it this evening.

I am blown away.

From the first page to the last, this story is a chilling and revolutionary view of the corruption that can spring from power. In a time when a man like Donald Trump can run for president and actually be leading in the polls, Animal Farm has never been more relevant or timely.

This was my first George Orwell novel, and I will definitely be reading his others -- especially 1984 -- in short order. The writing was crisp and clear, and every character came to life. Animal Farm works on two levels -- for kids, it's a fairy story about a group of animals taking over their own farm and controlling their own lives; for adults it's a chilling reminder that it doesn't take much for those in total power to make slaves of their lower citizens... and it doesn't take much for power to get to anyone's head. It never happens immediately, but instead over time. It's always subtle.

Honestly, there isn't much more I have to say about this book. If you're like me and never read it before, give it a try -- I can almost guarantee you'll love it, Regardless, it's super short and will only take an hour or two to read so even non-fans will not feel as though any time has been wasted. Check it out and see why it's considered a beloved classic.