WE ARE ALWAYS WATCHING Review

We Are Always Watching - Hunter Shea

After having read so much excellent horror in the last few days, this book just did not measure up. Perhaps I would have liked it more had I not binged on classics like Burnt Offerings and The Girl Next Door. Who knows. What I do know is I was intrigued for the first thirty percent or so of this book, but feel it quickly devolved into silliness. I found myself skimming, and so happy when I was finished.

I guess I just couldn’t buy into this one’s premise. A family hard on their luck must move in with Grandpa Abraham, a grumpy old man who lives in a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, PA. The family, used to the city life in NYC, just adjust. From the start strange written warnings and notes are left everywhere: “We are watching you.” “We are the guardians.” Etc. Naturally, mother and son are upset but Dad (who grew up in this house and has dealt with this his whole life) just writes it off. And . . . they just kinda go along with it, let it keep happening? They don’t call the police, or anything. It just did not feel believable to me.

And I saw the ending coming from a mile away. It’s frustrating being able to predict a book’s ending.

I just don’t really have much to say about this one. The synopsis made it sound creepier than it is. And I don’t know if this really classified as a ‘ghost story’ but I’m using it for ghosts in Halloween Bingo because that sort of plot was promised to me. I am very disappointed. I’m still shaken by Burnt Offerings (a far, far, far superior scary house story!) and this just didn’t measure up. At all. And, sadly, I don’t think it’s good on its own merits either.