HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS Review

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

My Harry Potter reread continues (though I started it last year . . . oops) with The Chamber of Secrets, one of my personal favorites in the series. I think the general opinion is this is one of the lesser Potter novels, but I think it’s a lot of fun.

Strange happenings are going on in Harry, Ron, and Hermoine’s second year at Hogwarts. Students are being turned to stone, and something called the Chamber of Secrets — a myth, so it is thought — has been opened. Who is causing it, and why?

This entry in the series hints at the dark turns the story would take in the latter novels while retaining the ‘feel’ of childhood wonder and fantasy, as seen in The Sorcerer’s Stone. Gilderoy Lockhart is one of my very favorite Potter characters, and it’s a shame he isn’t seen much after this. And who could forget Harry and Ron’s run-in with the Whomping Willow? One of Rowling’s most cinematic and rewarding scenes, for sure.

An entrancing and fun mystery, this entry into the Harry Potter series does an excellent job of illustrating more of Harry and Voldemort’s pasts, all while remaining a wild ride that never lets up!